Captain Richard Carr owned Amokura from the late 1960s until he died in 1977. In the Second World War he was a prisoner of war alongside George Millar and the two became friends. Millar had owned Amokura from 1953-60 and nearly a decade later he advised Capt Carr to buy her. Carr was understood to be concerned about his health so when he re-rigged Amokura in 1969, he replaced the original 60′ wooden mainmast with a shorter aluminium mast (52’6″), in order to make her easier to sail. This rig survives to the current day.